Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:47:40 -0800
From:      Jeff Adams <intensifi@earthlink.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   How to jump start a solaris/linux developer to freebsd?

Hello,

I've installed 5.0-rc2 and read the web site extensively.

What I hope someone can direct me to is some sort of a primer as to the
kernel functions that set freebsd apart for creating high-performance
network applications.

I found the zero_copy reference in the release notes to 5.0-rc2 which
was great.  I also found another mention in absolute bsd for a very
high performance function (sorry, the name escapes me at present).  I
also see that sendfile is present.

What I was hoping for is some sort of developers primer.  The document
on the site doesn't seem to include these things.  Is there a FAQ
somewhere or some book I should consult?

Also any help as to which mailing lists I should subscribe to
(development, new releases, new features, etc.) would be greatly
appreciated.  I'm looking forward to 2003 as a year to switch to
freebsd.

thanks in advance!