Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:04:53 +0100
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise ATA100 controller on Ultra 5

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:46:02AM +0000, Jason Mann wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I understand from the Hardware Notes for 5.2/sparc64 that Promise ATA100
> controllers are supported.
>
> However, does anyone know if the OpenBoot PROM will be able to boot from
> disks attached to such a controller?
>
> Systems is an Ultra5 with version 3.31 of OBP.
> Controller is Promise Ultra100 TX2.

Depends, if I put a Promise Fasttrak 66 into my Sun AXi board it
doesn't come up at all (OpenFirmware-wise, not FreeBSD-wise). If
yours boots with the controller inserted FreeBSD should be able to
use it quite fine (IIRC, the inital porting to Sparc64 was done
using Promise controls until the onboard ATA controllers where
supported). In order to be able to boot from the Promise controller
you might need to tell the OpenFirmware to recognize it as an IDE
controller (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc64/faq.html#pci-cards).
However, using it as a RAID controller will work only limited, i.e.
you won't be able to boot from a RAID array as this relies on the PC
firmware on these controllers which is not understood by OpenFirmware
(this could be worked around by the FreeBSD kernel but this most
likely won't never be implemented).