Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2006 02:50:24 +0300
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        Nik <nikruzhan@gmail.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multicast group memberships exceeded in FreeBSD 6-Prerelease

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 07:31:47AM +0800, Nik wrote:
> Mar 5 18:15:42 pjdist ospfd[82930]: can't setsockopt IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP (fd
> 6, addr 202.552.36.36, ifindex 17, AllDRouters): Too many references:
> can'tsplice; perhaps a kernel limit on # of multicast group
> memberships has been
> exceeded?
> Mar 5 18:15:42 pjdist ospfd[82930]: can't setsockopt IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP (fd
> 6, addr 202.552.36.1, ifindex 18, AllDRouters): Too many references:
> can'tsplice; perhaps a kernel limit on # of multicast group
> memberships has been
> exceeded?
>
> I'm sorry because I did paste the wrong error message. It's seem my system
> need some patching as what you said. Please help me to solve this problem.
> Forget to mention that I'm using quagga 0.99.3 on FreeBSD 6.0.
>
> As I mention in my first email, I haven't patching unix system before so I
> am really appreciate if you can lead me how to do it. Thanks a lot.

Well, I'm afraid this time you'll have to learn how to patch your
system by hand, not by the nifty patch(1) utility :-)

Just open /sys/netinet/in.h in your favourite text editor and find
the following line:

#define IP_MAX_MEMBERSHIPS      20      /* per socket */

Just search for `IP_MAX_MEMBERSHIPS'.

The number 20, or any seen there, is to be increased to the number
of OSPF interfaces, both passive and active, and some more.  I've
been running my systems with IP_MAX_MEMBERSHIPS of 60 without any
ill effects.

The final step will be to rebuild and install your modified kernel
according to the usual procedure.  I'm aware of no use of the
parameter outside the kernel.

And don't forget about the modification when the next upgrade comes.

--
Yar