Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 22:20:34 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: contrib code and gnu build glue (was [CFR] /sys/miscfs/* -> /sys/fs/)

In message <3B0DB020.885F5ED0@DougBarton.net> Doug Barton writes:
: 	I wish the whole thing were cleaner. There is too much "a little bit of
: this," and "a little bit of that" in the status quo. What'd really be nice
: for the current arrangement is if src/gnu had all of the 3rd party GPV'ed
: code, and src/contrib had all of the other 3rd party code except the bits
: related to encryption, which should still go in src/secure to help the
: people living under oppressive regimes. Then ALL of the build glue should
: go in its respective home under src/whatever.

You see a transition state.  All the GPL'd code is moved out of
src/gnu into src/contrib.  src/gnu is the tree for building code only,
not for storing it.  src/usr.bin (et al) are used when the code isn't
gpl'd.  We do this so that the build can easily eliminate building of
gpl by removing gnu from the top level makefile.

Warner