Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 20:58:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        Pat Noack <pnoack@holontech.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding a new disk

I've had the same problem with /stand/sysinstall from 2.1.5 on up
(currently at 2.2.2).  Currently, 2.2.2 reboots on me when sysinstall
writes out the disk label and begins newfs on the partitions in the
FreeBSD slice.  All devices in /dev seem fine.

Performing the actions manually as per the FAQ is somewhat more
successful, if more time-consuming.  I've had problem with this, too,
though.

My current workaround is to bring the machine down, use the installation
boot floppy to boot up, partition, label, do a minimal install, then
reboot on the original drive, mount the partitions, remove the
installation and then fill them back up again.  A lot of trouble?  Yeah.
But it works, and takes less thinking than doing things manually.  While
I'm waiting for it, I can catch up on the mailing lists...

A bug in my MUA causes news.announce.newusers                            font
to be sent to beneficiaries and senders of UCE/SPAM.                        @
                                                                      mcs.net
Wishes are like dishes.