Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 17:06:51 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Bob Hindla <rhindla@panix.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuration files

On Mon 1998-09-07 (10:13), Bob Hindla wrote:
> OK, I've got BSD up and running.  I just have few questions.

Well done, welcome to the family :)

> I've modified .bash_profile in /etc and /root (which is my home, at least
> initially).  Now how do I get bash to be my default shell as soon as machine
> comes up?  I noted a line  "!/bin/sh" in rc.conf.  But it was commented out
> with a pound sign.

#!/bin/sh is a "hash-bang" path to the shell which will run the script,
/bin/sh in this case.  That is how it's supposed to be.

Firstly, you probably shouldn't change to bash for the root user.  Rather use
/bin/sh for root, and make a normal user, install the bash port in
/usr/ports/shells/bash2, and then use 'chsh -s /usr/local/bin/bash' to change
that user to bash.  Then you can 'su -m' to root when you need to, and still
use bash.

Of course, some people might say that you can use bash as root, but I was
just brought up this way.

I don't understand why you want bash to be your "default shell" as soon as
your machine comes up, or, rather, what you mean by that.  Your shell is
dependant on your login, so rather change it there.  If something fails while
booting up, /bin/sh will almost always be there, unless your drive is
corrupted, in which case it doesn't matter, you're in big enough trouble.
You can always manually use bash in any case, assuming you can mount /usr, if
you have one.

> What does rc stand for?

I have no idea, but rc runs scripts for auto-reboot and daemon startup. (from
the manpage)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner