Date:      Mon, 07 Jul 1997 23:29:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Josh Tiefenbach <josh@ican.net>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Prob w/DPT driver v1.1.6

Hi Josh Tiefenbach;  On 08-Jul-97 you wrote:
> Booting up a RELENG_2_2 box with the latest DPT driver:

Does it work at all, or does it die after exactly this one message?

> dpt0: BAD (0) CCB in SP (status = 1011 0000).

This means that the DPT interrupted after a command completion but the
results are far from perfect;  The command completed has invalid address
and the status is totally messed up.  this normally indicates hardware
problems. Can you please tell me the board model, S/N, rev level, along
with the firmware (the boot prompt reports that).  Also, I need the Mfg,
model of the motherboard this thing goes into.  How many PCI slots?
Is the DPT in a ``secondary (behind a bridge)'' or primary PCI slot?

I will contact DPT development with this data and try to resolve it.

> from config file:
>
> options DPT_USE_SINTR=1
> options DPT_TRACK_CCB_USAGE
> options DPT_MEASURE_PERFORMANCE
> options DPT_HANDLE_TIMEOUTS

If you are on 1.1.6, you must have:

options DPT_SINTR_SPLHIGH

as well, or the above will also happen (at least).

> Error also occurs with the last 3 options turned off.

Do not turn off any of the above, for a while.  The savings (if you do)
are on the order of 2-7 microseconds per command.  The DPT serves a cache
hit in 250-270us.  A typical SCSI command (that goes to disk) takes
5-25ms.  This on an idle system, with a single command issued.

> Suggestions?

See above.

Keep me informed and thank you.

Simon