Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 07:00:50 -0400
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Robert Klein <RoKlein@roklein.de>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [hackers] Re: offtopic: low level format of IDE drive.

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Klein <RoKlein@roklein.de> writes:

Robert> ------------------------------------^^

>> All of the manufacturers have a program that will do that. Many of
>> them even produce a bootable floppy. Check their support web page.

Robert> which leaves the "no floppy" problem..  Perhaps you could use
Robert> the bootable floppy from the manufacturer as the "el torito
Robert> boot image" for a CD-R you create on another machine..

We use this method for all kinds of firmware tools.  We normally have
a CDR around with the current BIOS updates we're using, and any other
firmware tools that we've recently used.

It's difficult to create a 2.88 meg boot floppy (although not
impossible), but if you're savvy, you can include the cdrom driver to
give yourself much more room to create the ultimate DOS boot CD.
Extra points allocated, of course, for the use of non-m$ products.

Dave.