Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:08:33 -0500
From:      Jack Stone <jacks@sage-american.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading perl

On 8/29/2012 8:27 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Jack Stone <jacks@sage-american.com> writes:
>
>> uname -a FreeBSD mail.sagedata.net 7.0-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD
>> 7.0-RELEASE-p9 #2: Sun Jan 18 19:59:27 CST 2009
>>
>> Running perl5.10 (yeah, old!)
>> This is a production server.
>>

>> Been playing catchup on ports including perl as UPDATING recommends:
>> portupgrade -o lang/perl5.12 -f perl-5.10.\*
>>
>> That has worked on other servers, but not this one. Anyone know what I
>> need to do to clean this up??
>>
>> But, can't get past this fatal error:
>> mail# portupgrade -o lang/perl5.12 -f perl-5.10.\*
>> "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk", line 231: Error in archive
>> specification: "WITHOUT_"
>> "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk", line 231: Error in archive
>> specification: "WITHOUT_"
>> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>> ** Makefile possibly broken: lang/perl5.12:
> You're almost four years past the end-of-life on the release you're
> running, so it's been left behind in terms of support. In this case it
> looks (based on a *very* quick look) that you may be running into
> changes in how make(1) actually works, in which case backporting the
> ports functionality will be more work than it's worth.
>
> If the machine "can't" be updated, and assuming it's secure (which hard
> to be sure about with old software on the Internet), you may be best off
> leaving it alone.
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, on other servers with the same upgrading needs, perl-5.12
installed without any issue. My intention is to upgrade perl in
increments to get well past EOL.

Wonder if I just deinstalled the old perl5-5.10 and then installed the
perl5-12 would work. I can do that right from the port: make perl5-12
first to see if that works, then:
# make deinstall (perl-5.10) then: make install clean

What do you think? I've got to move up because an important perl
program requires a minimum 5.12.

All the best,
Jack