Date:      05 Apr 1999 12:10:21 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        "Brian's Mail" <bellefso@execpc.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999 14:00:24 -0500, "Brian's Mail" <bellefso@execpc.com> said:

Brian> Hello, Can anyone give me any tips on the best tape drives to
Brian> get? I want a SCSI device, not floppy of IDE. Is there any
Brian> support for the tape changers (HP SureStore 24x6 etc.)?

4mm DDS and 8mm Exabyte seem popular, but lots of folks here don't
like the fact that they tend to flake out. I'm using 4mm DDS2 and the
tapes seem to show errors after maybe a month of daily use.

FreeBSD has the "chio" tape changer command. I use Amanda with my
4xDDS2 drive with Amanda's glue script calling chio; works very
well. Amanda rocks for doing backups of your network, controlling bots,
prioritizing systems:/filesystems and remembering where stuff is.

As I said, my tapes tend to flake after Amanda cycles through them on
its daily backup regiment. New tapes fix the problems, which is why I
suspect the tapes.

Might wanna look at the used, surplus, and auction houses for DDS or
Exabyte drives -- that's where I found my changer for < $200. Saw a
10-tape Exabyte 8500 (5G) changer last weekend for $200, really wish I
had bought it. I guess companies are dumping ('scuse the pun) their
helical scan gear for DLTs, but I can't afford DLT for home yet, much
less a DLT juke.

I also have an HP TR-4 SCSI drive which is pretty fast and pretty
affordable but media is around $30/tape which discourages me from
having multiple dump level backups. :-(