Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:32:03 -0700
From:      "Angus Scott-Fleming" <angussf@geoapps.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *BSD flavours?

On 11 Jun 98 at 0:42, Nik Clayton  wrote:

> NetBSD (if my understanding is correct) is more of a direct
> descendent from 4.3BSD (there was no intermediate 386BSD stage)
> although in the intervening time there has been a lot of 'cross
> pollenisation'
>
> FreeBSD (because of it's 386BSD roots) has already been targeted at
> the Intel platform. NetBSD runs on many different platforms.

Hmmm.  Sounds like their might be some advantages to running NetBSD
over FreeBSD because of the multi-platform support.  Or is FreeBSD's
Alpha port the harbinger of Good Things in this regard?

> OpenBSD's particular speciality is security.

Funny how Open* works on closing loopholes <g> ...

Thanks for the rundown ....

----
Angus Scott-Fleming, GeoApplications
angussf@geoapps.com