Date:      15 Feb 95 12:45:00 -0600
From:      sung!imdave@iwcs.att.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Serial connections & misc.

Hi,

I've successfully installed FreeBSD on my brand-spaning-new
486 box, and it's working great.  Much thank's to the
folks that have put this together!!  Now here's my situation.

Using 2.0-RELEASE, I'm trying to setup a direct serial
connection between a 286 running Microport's System V/286
unix (SYSV R2), and FreeBSD.  I'm using a version
of the asy sio driver (the last one I could still port to
the 286 architecture) on the 286 system.  It uses
/dev/tty0 <--> /dev/ttyM0 the same way that I think FreeBSD
uses /dev/tty?? <--> /dev/cua??.  Perhaps my understanding
is wrong, since when I do a MAKEDEV tty04, I find that
/dev/cua04 has disappeared, and when I do the MAKEDEV cua04,
the /dev/tty04 disappears!

On the 286 side, I've got a uugetty waiting on /dev/tty0, which
allows cu to open /dev/ttyM0 as long as the port is not busy.
This configuration has been used for several years, and works
perfectly when I have a modem attached to the port.

Likewise on the FreeBSD side, I've enabled getty on /dev/tty04
in /etc/tty, and have configured tip to use /dev/cua04.  I
manually mknod'ed /dev/tty04 after MAKEDEV'ing cua04.

When I fire up both systems, I get the classic dualing getty
problem.  I've looked for a uugetty under the FreeBSD source
tree to no avail.

Here's my cable wiring (which works between the 286 and a UNIX PC
-- another System V box -- both with active uugetty's):

	pin               pin
         1,6 DCD,DSR  <--> 4 DTR
         2 RxD        <--> 3 TxD
         3 TxD        <--> 2 RxD
         4 DTR        <--> 1,6 DCD,DSR
         5 SG         <--> 5 SG
         7 RTS        <--> 8 CTS
         8 CTS        <--> 7 RTS

I assume that my understanding of FreeBSD's tty/cua ports
is wrong, or maybe there's some options file that I haven't found.
Can someone enlighten me with the correct way to
configure a direct serial connection between two unixes so
that cu/tip and uucp work bi-directionally?

Thanks!

Dave Bodenstab
...att!uwcs!imdave

PS.

The following are some observations about FreeBSD after having
installed it about a month ago and trying to configure it properly.
I am not trying to criticize, but am trying to offer some constructive
advice.  I am really pleased with FreeBSD, but there are some rough edges.

It sure would be great if there was a cookbook for newbies
to FreeBSD.  FI, I newfs'ed a new drive and mounted it under
/scratch.  At 2AM one night, after having loaded tons of floppies,
the nightly cron job ran -- was I *pissed*!  I knew about /tmp cleanup,
but why make /scratch a magic name too?

Also, it seem to me that many people will be in pretty much the
same situation, namely, after having successfully installed
FreeBSD I want to get it to do something... like print... or
dial a BBS.

A DOS person is used to this being relatively painless... "let's see, I've
got an Epson printer and a US Robotics modem... OK. 'print'. Great!
Now fire up the comm program and 'dial'..."  It usually works
right out of the box.

The reason for this is, of course, that the most common printers/modems/etc.
are already present in the configuration files and the user need only
select which one to use.

Certainly, there must be a descent sampling of various printers/modems/etc.
in the hands of the FreeBSD developers and long-time users.  Wouldn't it be
fairly simple to collect the configuration files and include them *all*
in the FreeBSD distribution?  If only that were the case I would have only
had to locate the lpd configuration file (which I did) and then select my
Epson printer rather than having to dig into the actual details of configuring
the printer.  After all, an Epson is *really* common.  The same is true for
the com ports -- I still haven't figured out how to get my US Robotics
modem to work with FreeBSD (but it works like a charm with DOS/windows!)
I'm going to have to dig into the modem manual and figure out all that
&d6&F?... stuff which I'd rather not bother with.  Again, a US Robotics
modem is *real* common!  The configuration files should be pre-configured
for the typical /dev/tty0[01] -- ie. mouse on one and modem on the other --
for both cu, tip and uucp.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rave a little and let off some steam :-)