Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 2020 12:26:05 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, ihor@antonovs.family
Subject:   Re: Profiling C application

On 11/28/20 4:38 AM, Ihor Antonov wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> What can I use on FreeBSD to profile a slow application?
>
> I have a source code of the application and I can rebuild it if necessary.
>
> I want to see where (in what functions) application spends most of its
> time - amount of function calls and duration of each call (per call)
>
> What tools can you recommend to do this?

Hello.

Take a look at:
_ devel/valgrind (callgrind tool), possibly with devel/kcachegrind to
analyze the results;
_ devel/google-perftools;
_ something is also included in base system (llvm-cov), altough it's
better suited for code coverage.

Sorry to be vague, but I last used them some time ago and I don't
remember the details right now.

HTH.

  bye
	av.