Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:07:08 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Michael W. Akers" <mwakers@home.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Computer Selection Rules ( was RE: What motherboard and CPU shall i  choose)

Well, not everyone has the same experiences as you. I particularly
disagreed with some of your hard drive choices (but not a big enough
deal to point out specifically). I do hope that the order in which you
listed the manufacturers didn't represent how you thought they compared
to one another.

"Michael W. Akers" wrote:
> Even with these motherboards it is a good idea to stay away from the ones that have the following built-in:
> (unless you know exactly what you are doing)
> * Sound
> * Networking

Most integrated network cards are either Intel or 3com, both of which
work quite well.

> * SCSI
> * Video

> The Video Card:
> * ATI Tech. (best balance between video and graphics performance, also highest reliability)
> * Diamond
* Matrox

Of course, getting the bleeding edge card is asking for XFree86 to not
have a server for you to use.

> The Sound Card:
> * SoundBlaster (all)
> * ESS

Except ESS PCI soundcards don't work. And I haven't been able to get my
genuine SB AWE64 to work again (for lack of trying harder, but it was
working and I didn't make any changes to the hardware).

> The Microprocessor:
> * Intel (all)
> * Cyrix (except MediaGX) (no SMP support yet)

I wouldn't recommend Cyrix at all. But I do have a small Oasys MediaGX
box doing DNS. It runs just fine, except for a "calcru: negative time"
message every once in a while.

> (AMD is too flaky for use in multi boot applications, although it will work with some OS's fine it may exhibit strange behavior, AMD was designed for the Win95/98 multimedia market)

I must disagree with the AMD statement. You just have to get a quality
motherboard. I've got an old K6/200 on an ASUS TX97-E that's been
running FreeBSD just fine for a few months, 24/7. My K6-2/380, ASUS P5A
desktop machine runs FreeBSD nice and stable as well.

--Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>