Date:      14 Jun 2002 14:05:46 -0700
From:      Scott Reese <sreese@codysbooks.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   VIA VT82C686A AC97 Sound Problems Re-Revisited

[please cc: me in any replies as I am not subbed to this list]

Hello All,

I have the same problem that has been described by many others over the
past few months.  I have an onboard VIA VT82C686A AC97 sound card that
makes all kinds of popping and beeping noises while I'm trying to play
mp3's.  It's really become quite a nuisance.  I noticed in my searches
for answers that a few others have experienced the same problem, but
apparently no answer has yet been found.  Does anyone know how to solve
this particular problem?  I would be very grateful for any help you can
offer.

Pertinent system info:

borges[191]% cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> at io 0xdc00 irq 5 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex
default)

borges[193]% uname -a
FreeBSD borges.codysbooks.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Sat
Jun  8 17:52:21 PDT 2002
scott@borges.codysbooks.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BORGES  i386

Thanks In Advance,
Scott
--
Scott Reese            	   phone: (510) 845-1609
Webmaster/Tech Support     fax: (510) 845-0484

PGP Key Fingerprint:
EB86 9EFD 52B2 371D BA73  8EEB 9A00 AF5C C420 400F