Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 07:12:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@ibm.net>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux: the tag that wouldn't die?

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> I have a system with a Pentium on a PIC/MIG card with an
> onboard AIC chip- and a pretty simple setup:

(snip)

> I'm running a pretty heavy DMA and PCI bus access load- every
> now and then, the linux aic driver gets stuck in the following
> horrible scenario- something times out, and then I get stuck
> with an infinite sequence of:
>
> SCSI host 1 abort (pid 253052) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0.
> (scsi1:0:0:0) Invalid SCB ID 28 is active, SCB flags = 0x805.
>
> Anyone got a notion about what this might be about?

This is suggestive of your drive reporting itself as capable of tagged
queueing, but being configured with tagging disabled.  Very common with
OEM IBM SCSI drives.

Hunt down the (now ageing) scsi-config package and clear the Dque bit on
the offending drive.

Hope this sets you in the right direction!

Steve