Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 12:52:15 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   GDB and current

With the change I just made to ld, you should be able to make gdb again
w/out any modifications.  I recomend that everyone re-make ld and then
do a make world, although it's not necessary since the change only
affects linking and not run-time.  However, in order to make gdb you
*have* to re-make and re-install ld.

The change to ld was to have it no longer give special preference to
static libraries over shared libraries.  The problem we were seeing was
that it was pulling in the regex routines from the static libcompat, but
since they didn't resolve all of the necessary symbols, we also needs
some from the GNu regex library.  There were overlapping symbols which
caused the error.  With the new scheme, it will pull all of the symbol
definitions from the gnu regex library (correctly) and only pull any
undefined symbols from the static libcompat library, which is the
correct behavior IMHO.

So, ld now will link in the program based on the order of libraries on
the command line.   This is how it has always worked with all static
and/or all shared libraries libraries, and I changed the behavior to
work that way with mixed libraries.

Nate