Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:45:58 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amazon email response

In <0vu2hrqtay.fsf@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>, Roland Jesse wrote:
> Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> writes:
>
> > The facts so far don't contradict their claim that they use their
> > patent only against B&N and that B&N is in fact worth fighting
>
> Why do you think is that?

On several occasions I found they they in fact just try to crash
amazon instead of creating their own thing. Almost all of their web
site is not only reusing good features from amazons (which would be ok
for me), but the whole thing is a outright copy instead of inferious
quality i.e. no zoomable title gifs. Amazon's also speaks of
unreasonable business practices of B&N, trying to force suppliers to
screw amazon.

They have bigger market weigth so that they might indeed have enough
power to crush amazon by unfair methods. Their outright copying of a
competitors websites leads me to te imppression that they're in fact
equipped with insufficient fantasy to continue to improve the books
selling business once amazon is off the market. That would leave *me*
in a worse situation if that happens.

Overall, it looks like Microsoft implementing some junk that passed
the insufficient POSIX tests and telling the suits that NT can do all
Unix can since NT supports the Unix API but not vice versa and similar
Microsoftish tricks by looking like something real to stupid
decision-makers.

I someone copy'ed my business's website (nonexistent) - which is the
core of my business - the way B&N did with amazons I would in fact
declare war on them and face some trouble with Stallman etc., even
while I might respect those people.

But don't understand me wrong: Software patents are bad and I only
support amazon as long as they are very careful not to worse the
patent situation.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/