Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 17:52:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        pb@fasterix.frmug.org (Pierre Beyssac)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the sound driver and the OPTi931 chip

> Has anyone on the list managed to use the -current sound driver
> with an OPTi931-based ISA PnP card named ExpertColor (that's the
> name of the maker, not the card :-) ?

which one of the -current driver ?
My "new" driver (device pcm0 ...) works perfectly with this card. I
used it for development. The card itself has a bug in that ulaw does
not work natively, and the driver emulates it using unsigned 8-bit.

> >From comments in isa/sound/ad1848.c it looks like the chip is supported
> by the sound drivers. But FreeBSD only recognizes the MPU and the OPL3

it isn't supported by voxware 3.0 or 3.5. The opti931 needs special
initialization code which is present in my driver and has been
introduced only recently in OSS (the commercial driver).

	Luigi