Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:45:42 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 UNstable

On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 09:33:57AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
[11 lines deleted]

> I've been using "dangerously dedicated" disks since I started using
> BSD 7 years ago.  I've never had trouble of this nature, but I have
> when using non-dedicated disks.

FYI, some systems can't boot "dangerously dedicated" disks at all due to the
BIOS limitation (checking of the partition table).  I like to use DD disks,
and use them whenever possible, but sometimes it doesn't work.

For example, I have a plenty of Intel's MB440LX servers with Symbios 53c875.

After the initial installation of FreeBSD in DD mode, system boots up with
"Read error".  Zeroing MBR doesn't help.  When I take this disk out of the
machine and put in in another one, for example, in Intel RC440FX with Adaptec
2940UW, the system boots OK.  Reinstalling in "true partition" mode makes the
system to boot.

Later,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the