Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:45:57 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

On Thursday 24 January 2002 21:02, Brian Astill wrote:
> On Friday 25 January 2002 03:30, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

<SNIP excellent desription of chmod>

> > -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     3545 Jan  8 11:30 znew
> >
> > the mode is 555.
>
> Well I never!  Try searching for that in a reference book if you are as
> ignorant as I am!  Thanks very much.

From your reaction, I'm guessing you have yet to discover the built-in
man pages, since the man page for "chmod" has an excellent explanation.
To get at it, simply type "man chmod" at a shell prompt.  Use the up/down
keys to scroll through and hit "q" when you're done to return to the prompt.
Just about anything you want to know about has a man page for it, and they
are usually *very* well written. Some interesting places to start:

man man
man hier
man security
man tuning