Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 22:57:44 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: bug with lockf(3)?

> Given 2 processes A and B, both with open file descriptors to a file,
> using open ("file.txt",O_RDWR)
> A calls lockf (fd,F_LOCK,0) and proceeds to read/write to file
> while file is still locked....
> B calls lockf (fd,F_LOCK,0) and enters blocked stait
> A calls lockf (fd,F_ULOCK,0)
> B is still in blocked state, until A exit(3)s.

	As a wild guess, did A move the file pointer inbetween the two calls to
lockf? A third parameter of zero means to lock or unlock from the current
position to infinity.

	If you lock zero to infinity, then block on a lock from zero to infinity,
the unlock to infinity must also be to zero. My guess is that A's read/write
operations leave the file pointer elsewhere, thus causing it to fail to
release its lock.

	DS