Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:09:32 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        <steve@velosystems.net>, <wenninger@cox-internet.com>, <davar@mwvcaa.org>, "Matt Penna" <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FBSD/DHCP talking to lan winbox

I would like to say thanks for your help.
I have DHCPD working correctly now.
For the archive here is the solution that worked for me.

# MY dhcpd.conf file

option domain-name "a1user.com";
option domain-name-servers 2x8.2x6.1x5.1x1, 2x8.2x6.1x5.1x2;
default-lease-time 86400;
max-lease-time 604800;
authoritative;
ddns-update-style none;
log-facility local7;

# No service will be given on this subnet, but declaring it helps the
# DHCP server to understand the network topology.
subnet 10.152.187.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}

# This is my subnet declaration.
# Max of 3 pc on lan  10.0.10.5 - 10.0.10.7
subnet 10.0.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.248 {
   range 10.0.10.5 10.0.10.7;
   option routers 10.0.10.2;
}

The major problem was I had left out the option routers statement
because I though it meant a 'router as in a separate piece of
equipment out on the private network' which I do not have.
Here the real meaning is
"option routers <default router/gateway ip address>;"
Where the term router and gateway relate the function the FBSD box
is configured to perform. My FBSD box is a gateway so I added the
option routers statement with the IP address on my FBSD system
which is really the IP address of the nic card to the lan.

Another area of confusion was, it was unclear from reading the
man pages on DHCPD that it would provide the machines on the lan all
the information they need to connect to the gateway FBSD box.
I had though it just provided dynamic IP address and come to find out
it also handles the DNS server IP address and the gateway server IP address.

The final area I had problems with was the Microsoft Windows machines
on the Lan. Since I had hard coded the info into the windows Networking
configuration window to get the lan working before I installed DHCPD,
I had left the DNS info I had entered and just changed the
networking settings to "Obtain ip address automatically".

The solution was, I had to delete all the networking settings leaving
only the "Obtain ip address automatically" selected. It takes a
reboot of windows to activate this change.
The windows "winipcfg" program shows all the networking setting.
The 'more info' button really shows the complete values as
windows received them from DHCP.

To complete the picture I also had to edit the
/usr/local/etc/rc.isc-dhcpd.conf file putting values into 2 fields
dhcpd_options=-q  to turn off the copyright banner from displaying
every time DHCPD is started  and dhcpd_ifaces=xl0  for my nic card.

Again a big thanks to everyone

Joe