Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2024 16:04:21 -0400
From:      Joseph Mingrone <jrm@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "divyansh.nankani" <divyanshvn@zohomail.in>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org, Alexander V. Chernikov <melifaro@FreeBSD.org>, Alan Somers <asomers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Guidance regarding GSoC projects

On Sun, 2024-02-04 at 22:43, "divyansh.nankani" <divyanshvn@zohomail.in> wr=
ote:

> Hi ,=C2=A0

> I am intending to participate in GSoC for FreeBSD this year. I need a bit=
 of help navigating where to start contributing to FreeBSD for issues/featu=
res specifically related to the GSoC projects I am targeting :=C2=A0

> - Improve netgraph concurrency=C2=A0

> - Implement MPLS support for FreeBSD

> I am also interested in=C2=A0UFS4fuse: support FreeBSD's UFS2 with fusefs=
 (with rust)=C2=A0but there is no mentor assigned for this project on the p=
roject ideas page.

> I will be really grateful if you can help me out with this.

> Thanks,

> Divyansh

Hi Divyansh,

It's nice to hear you are interested in working with FreeBSD this summer, a=
nd it's good you are starting early.  We find out around February 21 whethe=
r FreeBSD has been accepted to participate in GSoC 2024.

The MPLS project was attempted in 2008 [0] and 2018 [1].  Hopefully we can =
track down some code from that past work and then determine whether this is=
 still an appropriate project.

I see 29 bugs related to netgraph [3].  I suggest investigating the newer o=
nes to see if they pique your interest.  Although not directly related to c=
oncurrency, bug #267413 looks interesting.  It's unclear how challenging it=
 will be to solve.  Maybe Alexander, who is copied here, could offer better=
 guidance.

There is now one tentative mentor for the UFS4fuse project, Alan Somers.  I=
 say tentative because we probably still require a co-mentor for this proje=
ct to be viable.  We have one in mind but have yet to hear back whether he'=
s available.

I hope this helps you get started.  If you have any other questions, please=
 let me know, and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.

Regards,

Joe

[0] https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2008#Implementation_of_MPLS_on_Fre=
eBSD