Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 22:27:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ALL make package fail

Relax :-)

It is true, but not so bad;

In the last few days, in -current, ALL make package fail the same way.

PLIST asumes in virtually all packages that the target directory is
/usr/local/whatever.  /usr/share/mk/bsd.ports*  sets up PREFIX and
something else.

The problem that cropped up is that now the makefiles do not seem to care
no more.  The only solution I found is to edit the PLIST files to contain
@cwd /usr/local.  Works, but a mess to edit all these files.

Aside from that, I'd say 15% of the packages will not compile for other
reasons. I'll be glad to publish the make output if anyone cares.

Another comment to the decision makes;  When you build the ports, you end
up with ALL the packages installed.  Not necessarily what one has in mind;
One may want very much to build a package, but not necessarily install it
on their system.

Oh, if you did not catch it, it all happens on 3.0-current, as of today +/-
one week.

---
If Microsoft Built Cars:

Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you'd have to buy a new
car.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313