Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 1996 02:09:05 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   The curtain is going down on 2.1-stable in 5 days!

Basically, I need to get 2.1.6 off my plate if I'm to have any hope of
working constructively on 2.2, and managing 3 different branches
during this transitional period is also something of a headache which
I'd like to avoid prolonging.

So.  David and I have decided that next Tuesday, the 12th of November,
would be an excellent time to start putting FreeBSD 2.1.6 to bed, and
if you've got any critical bug fixes or security problems to report in
2.1-stable, now would be an excellent time to raise them before it's
too late.

Testing from your own release:
------------------------------

Those wishing to build their own releases from 2.1-stable and test
them are, of course, more than encouraged to do so.  I guess I've
never really given reasonable instructions on doing this, so what the
heck.  Assuming you've got a good 600MB or so of disk space to burn
and a CVS repository online being pointed at with your CVSROOT, you
can build a release by saying:

# cd /usr/src/release
# make release CHROOTDIR=/free/space BUILDNAME=2.1.6-RELEASE \
	RELEASETAG=RELENG_2_1_0 >& release.out &

After anywhere from a day to 4 hours, depending on the speed of your
machine, you should have an installable release in /free/space and can
do an FTP install from the bits by doing:

# rcp -pr /free/space/R/ftp ftphost:~ftp/pub/2.1.6-RELEASE
  [stick a floppy in the drive]
# fdwrite < /free/space/R/stage/floppies/boot.flp

(if your ftp host and build host are the same, you can also just
mv the file hierarchy over rather than rcp'ing it :)

Now go to another machine on the network with your new floppy and do
an FTP install with ``ftp://ftphost/pub/'' as the media (select Other
in the FTP host selection menu).

In case of problems encountered which cannot be attributed to pilot
error, please contact me as soon as possible.  Let's test the heck out
of this and make 2.1.6 the kind of release that we'd be pleased to
recommend for commercial use for some time to come!

Thanks!

						Jordan