Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 20:08:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      msstein <mikes@OpenBSDbox.com>
To:        database@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ESQL/C NATIVE port to FreeBSD 4.x wahoo :-)

It all started 12 months ago when I was working for a telcom that had many
informix databases. They wanted me to write some CGI's to generate those
lovely graphical statistical reports that all management loves to see.
 The problem was trying to find a port of Informix's esql/c compiler and
libraries was impossible. It did'nt exist. Well, a year later I am working
for a new company and I needed the same thing.

IN order to get perl or php to work with informix DB's you need to have
esql/c/ I tried running the linux binaries under FreeBSD's linux emulation
but .. that was'nt bringing me much success. For the hell of it, I asked
someone in #openbsd on efnet and they pointed me to a slashdot article
about an informix employee asking if they should develop a port to freebsd
or not. It was dated 7 months or so ago .. but I did'nt care I emailed her
anyway .. would'nt you know .. she did'nt work in that dept anymore ..but
gave me directions .. after 2 weeks of calling 100's of numbers talking to
many informix tech's and DBA's I finally found what I was looking for ...
and no, you cannot d/l it from intraware.com because informix no longer
has a contract with them .. but if you want a CD with CLientSDK2.5 FOr
FreeBSD 4.0 and up .. well all you have to do is call informix customer
service :) ... which even they don't know it exists .. it took me 3 or 4
people before someone found the info I needed .... so, if you are like me,
and have been using linux just to run your php and perl scripts to connect
to a remote informix database ... have no fear because the port is
available ..

I am not sure if anyone has had this dilemna .. but I would'nt think I was
the only one ... there is a reference # to the FreeBSD version
specifically .. so if you are interested .. go ahead and email me .. and I
will give you the reference # and it will make your life a hell of a lot
easier .. when searching for this port.

I have yet to be let down .. when it comes to running FreeBSD over Linux
in regards to the so called amount of linux ported software vs freebsd ..

I am still and will always remain dedicated :-) Home is where the heart is
..

you can email me at mikes at openbsdbox.com ( spelled out so no filters
would hide my address from you like geocrawler does.)

anyway ... thanks to the informix people .. and the freebsd folk as well
..

--mike