Date:      Sat, 03 Nov 2012 12:50:35 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: watchdogd, jemalloc, and mlockall

On Sat, 2012-11-03 at 20:41 +0200, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 12:38:39PM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > In an attempt to un-hijack the thread about memory usage increase
> > between 6.4 and 9.x, I'm starting a new thread here related to my recent
> > discovery that watchdogd uses a lot more memory since it began using
> > mlockall(2).
> >
> > I tried statically linking watchdogd and it made a small difference in
> > RSS, presumably because it doesn't wire down all of libc and libm.
> >
> >  VSZ   RSS
> > 10236 10164  Dynamic
> >  8624  8636  Static
> >
> > Those numbers are from ps -u on an arm platform.  I just updated the PR
> > (bin/173332) with some procstat -v output comparing with/without
> > mlockall().
> >
> > It appears that the bulk of the new RSS bloat comes from jemalloc
> > allocating vmspace in 8MB chunks.  With mlockall(MCL_FUTURE) in effect
> > that leads to wiring 8MB to satisfy what probably amounts to a few
> > hundred bytes of malloc'd memory.
> >
> > It would probably also be a good idea to remove the floating point from
> > watchdogd to avoid wiring all of libm.  The floating point is used just
> > to turn the timeout-in-seconds into a power-of-two-nanoseconds value.
> > There's probably a reasonably efficient way to do that without calling
> > log(), considering that it only happens once at program startup.
>
> No, I propose to add a switch to turn on/off the mlockall() call.
> I have no opinion on the default value of the suggested switch.

In a patch I submitted along with the PR, I added code to query the
vm.swap_enabled sysctl and only call mlockall() when swapping is
enabled.

Nobody yet has said anything about what seems to me to be the real
problem here:  jemalloc grabs 8MB at a time even if you only need to
malloc a few bytes, and there appears to be no way to control that
behavior.  Or maybe there's a knob in there that didn't jump out at me
on a quick glance through the header files.

-- Ian