Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:13:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "O'Gorman, James" <jogorman@worldmediaco.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum/Disklabel problems

On Friday, 10 September 1999 at 14:27:36 -0500, O'Gorman, James wrote:
> I am trying to make a stiped set in Vinum, and I am too the point where I
> need to change the file system type for the partitions. da5 is my boot
> volume, I am striping together da0-da4, da6-da8 all in one stripe.
>
> I was able to do a disklabel -e da0 and change the filesystem type on
> da0-da3 with no problems at all. But then when I get to da4 on up, I do the
> disklabel -e da4 and got a odd looking file:
>
> # /dev/rda4:
> <snip>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c: 35885168        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 407785)

I assume that the broken line (recovered here) is an artefact of your
mailer, and not the problem you're referring to.

> Where my partitions are not listed at all. For ref here is da0:
>
> # /dev/rda0c:
> <snip>
>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c: 35885168        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 3544*)
>   e: 35885168        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 - 3544*)

> When I go to quit out of disklabel -e da4 it gives me:
> isklabel: Operation not supported by device
> re-edit the label? [y]:

Well, this indicates that the update hasn't been done, so the results
above are not surprising.

> I used /stand/sysinstall to fdisk and label all the disks. uname -a gives
> me:
> FreeBSD computer.somewhere.com 3.3-RC FreeBSD 3.3-RC #1: Thu Sep  9 18:40:42
> CDT 1999
>
> Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Or what I might do to fix the
> problem?

I think this could be a bug.  I've seen a couple of incidents where
the kernel internal device list doesn't seem to be complete.  Is there
any way I can take a look at your system?

Greg