Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2018 19:21:58 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>, Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org>
Subject:   SCHED_ULE makes 256Mbyte i386 unusable

I decided to start a new thread on current related to SCHED_ULE, since I se=
more than just performance degradation and on a recent current kernel.
(I cc'd a couple of the people discussing performance problems in freebsd-s=
table
 recently under a subject line of "Re: kern.sched.quantum: Creepy, sadistic=
 scheduler".

When testing a pNFS server on a single core i386 with 256Mbytes using a Dec=
. 2017
current/head kernel, I would see about a 30% performance degradation (elaps=
ed
run time for a kernel build over NFSv4.1) when the server kernel was built =
with
options SCHED_ULE
instead of
options SCHED_4BSD

Now, with a kernel from a couple of days ago, the
options SCHED_ULE
kernel becomes unusable shortly after starting testing.
I have seen two variants of this:
- Became essentially hung. All I could do was ping the machine from the net=
work.
- Reported "vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed
  and then any attempt to do anything gets "No more processes".
with the only difference being a kernel built with
options SCHED_4BSD
everything works and performs the same as the Dec 2017 kernel.

I can try rolling back through the revisions, but it would be nice if someo=
ne
could suggest where to start, because it takes a couple of hours to build a
kernel on this system.

So, something has made things worse for a head/current kernel this winter, =
rick