Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 00:11:28 -0500
From:      John Lengeling <johnl@raccoon.com>
To:        betterformat <betterformat@astea.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog problem

For some reason, I too have always had problems making changes to the
syslog.conf file.  I use the following tools to help debug syslog.conf
changes:

1. Put syslogd in debug mode.
2. Use logger(1) command to send test messages to syslogd.
3. Run ktrace(1) on the syslogd process and see if it is getting the log
requests and also to see if it had problems opening the log files.
4. Run tcpdump(1) to watch the network for syslog requests.

johnl