Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 11:11:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mcgovern@spoon.beta.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving CD audio data around with HP 4020i

In a previous message, Jordan K. Hubbard said:
> > Now, given these seperate sources, can anyone tell me how to read them
> > back on to the harddisk, and then to write them back on to a merged
> > CD?
>
> Use DOS and some commercial CDR mastering software. :-(
>
> Sorry, but that's the same answer we came up with when we embarked
> upon this same road here at Walnut Creek CDROM.  Some audio CDs have
> very short gaps in between songs and this information is destroyed
> (and a frisbee produced) with any of the UN*X based mastering
> solutions we tried.  I wish I could remember the name of the DOS
> software we now use for this now but it totally slips my mind.  DOS,
> not being multitasking, is actually an ideal platform for a
> does-it-all CDR software solution since there are no drivers to get in
> the way nor any competition for the CDR or disk.  A friend from the
> Linux camp went through this same process and now swears by the DOS
> solution - he tried all the Linux solutions and they all sucked in the
> same ways that the *BSD solutions did. :-(
>
> 					Jordan

I successfully used CD-GEAR on Solaris to make audio CDs. It read an
wrote, using a Philips CDD2000. I've got a new Yamaha drive that
I've yet to get working with the GEAR software (lack of time and out
of disks), but it works fine on my NT for data (haven't tried audio
except to download songs into wav format).

Sorry that doesn't help FreeBSD but, there is Unix CD master software
available that does audio.

Paul.

--
	The gene pool needs a little chlorine