Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:20:19 -0800
From:      Albert Kinderman <albert.kinderman@csun.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Version Numbers of Packages (KDE)

This week I wanted to upgrade to KDE2.1 using packages (not
ports).  On 3/13, using stand/sysinstall, I found kdelibs-2.1,
kdesupport-2.1, etc and installed them.  However, I could not find
kdebase-2.1.  I also could not find it on the ftp sites.  On 3/14,
I found kdebase-2.1 and installed it.

However, the packages installed on 3/13 had a dependency on
libmng-0.9.3, while the kdebase-2.1 package installed on 3/14 had
a dependency on libmng-1.0.0.  There was a similar discrepency in
the version of libaudiofile required.  When I rechecked this
morning, 3/15, kdelibs-2.1 now depends on the newer libs.

If the different versions of the kde packages depend on different
versions of various libraries, why do they not carry different
minor version numbers (e.g., kdelibs-2.1.1 ) so that you can
install a consistent set?

Al

--
Albert Kinderman      Department of Management Science
       California State University, Northridge