Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 1994 14:23:54 +0100
From:      Dick van den Burg <burg@burg.is.ge.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bidirectional ports ?

> Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 23:37:45 +1100
> From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> Cc: hackers@freebsd.org
>
> >Yes, of course getty has /dev/ttyd0 open. That is exactly the problem.
> >How can I start a getty without without it opening the device?
>
> Don't have carrier present when there is no connection.  Then getty will
> block while opening the device and "ps lax" will show /usr/libexec/[getty]
> sleeping on "siodcd".

Thanks, I am slowly getting there. My one problem is that the getty does not
die, once the modem has picked up the phone (no carrier, just call in, and
hang up the phone). The wait state changes to ttyin. When I kill the getty
it changes to sciodtr and when I power the modem on/off it goes back to
sciodcd.
 How can I get the getty to die after I hang up the phone? I thought that
'hc' in my gettytab would do the trick, but obviously it is not enough.
my gettytab entry is std.38400|38400-baud:np:sp#38400:hc

Any more wise words?

Thanks again ... Dick