Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 15:29:20 +1300
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, Dan Strick <dan@math.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jabley@clear.co.nz
Subject:   Re: AMD/NFS problems with 3.0

On Mon, Nov 23, 1998 at 08:58:35AM -0500, Robert Withrow wrote:

> dan@math.berkeley.edu said:
> :- I have not yet noticed an NFS server responding through a different
> :- port#.
>
> I have (buggy ?) sunos 4.1.4 servers that do that.
>
> I havn't yet sniffed the wire to see if that is the source of my
> current NFS problems.  Everthing here is now switched 100 to the
> desktop through a Baystack 350.  I have to get a hub to put the
> client system and the sniffer on so I can capture the NFS session...
> (And, it might be that the Baystack is a problem too, for all I know...).

The BayStack 350T supports port mirroring (I think Bay calls it "conversation
steering"). You should be able to configure a monitor port which contains
combined traffic from up to two other ports (depending on port load,
obviously).

If you can't see the menu option to set it up, check you've got a recent
firmware image.

I've done this lots of times - and it's definitely less hassle than messing
about with hubs, since I don't have to leave my desk :)

Joe

--
Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>      Tel +64 9 912-4065, Fax +64 9 912-5008
Network Architect, CLEAR Communications Ltd       http://www.clear.net.nz/