Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 02:04:25 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

> > > Yep.  epinit(slot, int), where the int says 'is this the first time for
> > > this device'.  If the second parameter is 0, then it does a
> > > 'mini-probe'.
> >
> > Not good enough.  I take one card out and replace with a
> > similar-but-different one (eg. two 3c589's, two NE2000's, etc.)  The
> > miniprobe will say "yes, it's the same", even though it's not.
>
> But, it will work the same, since we don't program the card to do
> anything, just the controller.  If two 'fairly identical' cards can be
> probed the same, they also better act the same given the same
> conditions.  I think this is a non-issue.

Let's just make sure I understand what the 'mini-probe' entails, as I
may be misunderstanding this.

Before the mini-probe runs, is the device detached?  ie. the mini-probe
is basically going to run the probe and then attach routines again?
(Do you have to do this anyway, to get the PCCARD back to a known
state?)

> I think it is.  What I'd like to do is be able to move some of the
> configuration into the kernel, so we can *rely* on certain things being
> there for embedded applications.  For example, if I have a machine that
> is tight on memory, I want pccardd to run until it gets both cards
> configured, and then die to free up memory.  You may ask why this is
> important, and who would ever do something that silly, and I'll answer
> 'because it is'.

I understand all about that; I've always wanted to be able to stuff the
card recognition data (or some subset therof) into the kernel.

mike