Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 16:14:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Joerg Pulz <Joerg.Pulz@frm2.tum.de>
To:        Daniel Hartmeier <daniel@benzedrine.cx>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/168190: [pf] panic when using pf and route-to (maybe: bad fragment handling?)

On Mon, 21 May 2012, Daniel Hartmeier wrote:

> It looks like the byte order of ip_len is wrong, htons(334) = 19969,
> triggering fragmentation (334 < if_mtu, but 19969 > if_mtu).
>
> The reason is most likely the recursive pf_route() call:
>
>> m_copym() at m_copym+0x280
>> ip_fragment() at ip_fragment+0x1e5
>> pf_route() at pf_route+0x75c
>> pf_test() at pf_test+0xc29
>> pf_route() at pf_route+0x30a
>> pf_test() at pf_test+0xc29
>> pf_check_out() at pf_check_out+0x3a
>> pfil_run_hooks() at pfil_run_hooks+0xd2
>> ip_output() at ip_output+0x655
>
> i.e. the packet is filtered when going out on some interface, matching a
> route-to rule.
>
> Now the packet is filtered again on the routed-to interface. So far ok,
> this is expected.
>
> But now it matches a route-to rule again, possibly the same one, because
> it doesn't restrict the interface.
>
> Usually, this is not intentional (double route-to), and can be fixed by
> checking the route-to rule(s) and making them more restrictive.
>
> Semantics of such route-to chains are not well defined. There's an mbuf
> tag to prevent endless loops, but obviously even short chains are not
> working properly. I'd try to avoid them.

Daniel,

thanks for looking at this and your explanation.
The route-to rules are pretty specific:

#### pf.conf
ext_if="bge0"
int_if="bge1"
vpn_net="10.1.1.0/24"
srv_net="172.16.1.0/24"
gw_addr="172.16.1.254"

scrub in all

pass out on $ext_if route-to ($int_if $gw_addr) from $vpn_net to any keep state
pass out on $int_if route-to ($int_if $gw_addr) from $vpn_net to $srv_net keep state
#### pf.conf

The default gateway for the host itself is reachable on the external
interface and there is a static route for our internal networks
(172.16.0.0/16) configured for the system itself.
All client traffic has to hit the $gw_addr first regardless in which
direction it goes afterwards, that's where the route-to rules kick in.
Do they have to be even more specific if possible at all?

Kind regards
Joerg

- --
The beginning is the most important part of the work.
 				-Plato