Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:34:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        Asenchi <asenchi@asenchi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall + Cable Modem

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Asenchi wrote:

> I cannot get my card to remain connected, it keeps dropping its addressing,
> or so it appears in IFCONFIG.  I have included below outputs of various
> processes for you all.  Thank you in advance for any help you are able to
> offer.

With DHCP you get a lease for a certain period of time. Some ISP's have
very short lease times; and your system may not be quick enough to get a
lease. Another option is that you get your first lease before the firewill
is fully set up; but that you cannot negotiate a lease after the firewall
is there due to it blocking the negotiation process. Temporarily disabling
the firewall(and nat) will tell you this.

> Jan 25 03:03:00 world dhclient: Listening on BPF/vr0/00:40:33:5a:74:8a
> Jan 25 03:03:00 world dhclient: Sending on   BPF/vr0/00:40:33:5a:74:8a
> Jan 25 03:03:00 world dhclient: Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already
> in use

This suggest that your dhclient can not bind to the port it needs. You may
want to check what is bound to that port. See 'lsof' and 'netstat'.

Dw