Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 1996 21:53:29 -0800
From:      Erich Boleyn <erich@uruk.org>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crashing on activating other CPUs

I synced up my tree here, and tried it out with and without APIC_IO
(and with/without SMP_INVLTLB).

The syscons problems are fixed (yayy!), and it runs well as long as
I don't try to start any other CPUs (via "sysctl -w kern.smp_active=2").

If I do the above command, a big flurry of:

...and full dump messages run by before it freezes solid (and a reset is
necessary).  No variation on SMP_INVLTLB or APIC_IO seems to change the
above behavior.

The last messages say:

	cpunumber = 2
	fault virtual address	= 0xa0
	fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
	instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf01150d9
	stack pointer		= 0x10:0xf0223c12
	frame pointer		= 0x10:0xf0223c22

	current precess		= Idle
	interrupt mask		= tty
	panic (cpu#2): page fault
	boot() called on cpu#2

I'll sniff around to see if I can find where it is in the code
tomorrow (my wife is saying I must come to bed or I won't live to
see the morning ;-).  I suspect it might be a greater than 2 CPUs problem
(question:  should I be saying "kern.smp_active=4" on my 4 CPU test
box??).

--
  Erich Stefan Boleyn                 \_ E-mail (preferred):  <erich@uruk.org>
Mad Genius wanna-be, CyberMuffin        \__      (finger me for other stats)