Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 06:53:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        res03db2@gte.net (Robert Clark)
Cc:        dot@dotat.at, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, ragnar@sysabend.org, res03db2@gte.net
Subject:   Re: Ideas about network interfaces.

> One thing I do appreciate about the e4000 Suns, (and most of the
> SBUS systems I would think), is that installing a new scsi
> controller doesn't change the path to the existing devices.
>
> This is inherent in the hardware, and not something applicable to
> the PC?

The controllers are not named for their slots or for their
PCI interrupt (A/B/C/D), nor for their bridge address, etc..

In an ideal world, you would expect slot; the best you can
expect in a PCI workld is, I think, interrupt, then bridge,
then interrupt off of bridge, then target, then LUN, then
paritition, then subpartition, etc..  We don't do that.

For a near approximation, you could use the "last mounted on"
field of the FS's that support it to decide on mounting into
the FS hierarchy, and add a field for the rest of the fstab
elements, and get rid of the fstab.  This won't work for
things like an msdos FS, or most CDROMs, etc., which don't
have a "last mounted on" field, or have an empty one.  But
you could envision a devfs/slice/last-mounted-on combination
that would automatically "just work".

For things like dd-duplicated disks on a single system, you
would want to have a "dismount date" failed, and use the most
recently dismounted of a pair of "/usr" partitions, as one
approach.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---