Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:44:41 -0300
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@greenmeadow.ca>
To:        jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: permissions dilemma

jekillen wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2006, at 6:10 PM, Duane Whitty wrote:
>
>> jekillen wrote:

>>> Boy that was fast, I just posted this message a moment ago...
>>> No I was just testing it using the mysqld_safe --user=mysql & approach.
>> Hi,
>>
>> As you don't mention it explicitly, did you run "mysql_install_db
>> --user=mysql" ?
> yes....well come to think of it I only ran mysql_install_db without
> the --user part
> I believe. I'll redo it an see what happens.
> thanks
>> I know the first time I installed MySQL I neglected to do so.  As
>> well, do you also
>> have a mysql user and a mysql group defined?
> yes, but I'm confused, why would the mysql user need a shell and login
> password.
> No password means that any one could log into the system as the mysql
> user
> but how would mysqld switch to the mysql user if it has a password.
> I did this on another machine running the same version of FreeBSD and
> was successful.
> So far MySQL runs fine on it. I don't recall exactly what I did
> differently.
> Would this have a bearing on the screen saver daemon? Or is that
> another issue?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Duane Whitty
>> --
>> duane@greenmeadow.ca
MySQL user does not need and should not have a login shell.
the entry in the password and group file should be set-up
automatically for you when you install MySQL.

The method I used to install MySQL was to use the ports
system via portupgrade.  Then run mysql_install_db --user=mysql
This sets a lot of things up for you.

As I believe another poster has mentioned you will want to delete
everything under /var/db/mysql/

Also do a chown mysql:mysql /var/db/mysql

Read the chapters in the MySQL manual regarding post-install
tasks under UNIX and securing the initial MySQL accounts.

Hope this helps,

Duane Whitty
--
duane@greenmeadow.ca