Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:12:40 -0500
From:      Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: playing DVD works

On Mar 26, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Mathew Kanner wrote:
> > 	Just a note to the list to say that playing DVDs does indeed
> > work.  I borrowed my friends Austin Powers DVD and tried to play it.
> > I installed the CVS version of mplayer (from last night)
> >
> > mplayer -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/acd1c  -cache 20960
>
> I never knew that the "cache" parameter existed. :) I already get smooth
> playback with -cache 512, but I really wonder why the software needs to
> precache in order to achieve full framerate.

	Hm, I just noticed that a small buffer (like 512) works ok for
me aswell, maybe the 20mb buffer was overkill :)
	Just note that when you use the cache, mplayer has two
processes, I presume one is to cache, the other is to play, this would
give a better concurrency.

	--Mat
--
Brain: Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but how will we get a pair of Abe Vigoda's