Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 1995 22:18:20 EST
From:      M C Wong <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>
To:        bmk@dtr.com
Cc:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: shared IP address ?

> > >  FreeBSD                                          Annex router
> > >  +-----+                                         +-----+
> > >  |     |-- modem --- ............. --- modem ----|     |
> > >  +-----+ ^                                     ^ +-----+
> > >          |                                     |
> > >  /dev/tty0, sl0, 203.13.47.32            unspecified
> > >

> > > and I was told to do the following :
> > >
> > > 1. connect to the remote modem
> > > 2. ifconfig sl0 inet up 203.13.47.32 netmask 255.255.255.0
> > >    Yes, he said it over 10 times or so, this is *NOT* a point-to-point link,
> > >    and I *MUST* leave the destination IP address out. However, I believe on
> > >    1.* FreeBSD, sl* are configured to be point-to-point interface even without
> > >    specifying destination IP address (as seen from ifconfig sl0 command) ?
>
> He's wrong.  Dialup IP ports on an Annex have both local and remote IP
> addresses.  203.13.47.32 is the remote, you also need the local to
> ifconfig the sl0 device.
>
> He's sadly mistaken if he thinks it's not a point-to-point link.

Great! That's what I think. Ok, in which case if I am just to assign my sl0
a temperory IP address and dial up connect to his end with kermit or any comm
program, is there a way which I can figure out the REAL and CORRECT IP address
on his Annex port ? I was under the impression that he did not give me the
right IP address from what people reply to me, 8-(((.