Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 18:36:32 -0800
From:      David Stern <dstern@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   UFS, rc.local, afterstep, ext2, package docs, libraster/depends

I got the latest official FreeBSD CD (3.1) installed (ports included),
setup more tty's, recompiled a leaner kernel, got ppp configured, setup
XF86, updated locate, perused the handbook and faq, but there are some
important things I'm not finding any mention of.  Please point me in
the right direction.

1.) I want to find out what I need to know about for UFS partitions,
where are the docs?  Utils, fragmentation, management.

2.) Where's the elusive /etc/rc.local that I'm supposed to start things
like apache in?

3.) Where is the afterstep 1.6 configuration files that I'm supposed to
copy into the user's home directory so I can configure my AS menus,
wharf, et.al..? All I get is the ~/GNUstep/Library/Afterstep/non-configu
rable/* the first time I run afterstep.  I read the afterstep doc, and
the configurable files are nowhere to be found.

4.) How do I mount an ext2 partition?  I get a "vfs_ext2 not found"
error (or a close approximation).  I've got the linuxlib package
installed, linux support in kernel.  ( Are ext2 partitions writable? )

5.) Where are all the docs for the packages (sendmail, mh, procmail)?

6.) I got an error when attempting to start enlightenment that
libraster was not found.  What package do I need?  ( Is there any way
to list outstanding package dependencies? )

My first impression is that FreeBSD 3.1 has a very high level of
attention to detail.  I especially liked that getting net connected was
fast and easy with the provided program and docs.  It seems like
processes are managed very fluidly and robustly.  Seems /very/ solid.

THanks,
--
David
dstern@u.washington.edu