Date:      05 Jun 2002 12:04:44 +1000
From:      Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
To:        Josh Brandt <jbrandt@WPI.EDU>
Cc:        Michael Still <mikal@stillhq.com>, Kurt Seel <kseel@utcorp.com>, "freebsd-smp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell poweredge anyone?

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 06:43, Josh Brandt wrote:

> > >  * the onboard SCSI works / is worth a damn
> >
> > Yes, but we had problems with the Dell RAID controllers. These have now
> > been rectified I believe.
>
> The hardware page lists most of the Dell on-board RAID controllers as
> supported. They appear to be all Adaptec chipsets, anyway.

They are a mixture of Adaptec and AMI chipsets.  They all seem to work
fine now.

We have PERC2/QC, 2/SC, 3/SI and 2/DI (I think) all in production now.

We run SMP on a 2300 and on 6300s with few problems.  The only
apparently SMP related problem we had was with Vinum.  The plexes were
not setup correctly and this seemed to trigger a fault with vinum that
only appeared with SMP enabled.  I disabled SMP on that box and it was
stable for 12 months or so until we moved the disks to an IBM Shark. The
2300 is running SMP and vinum with correctly setup plexes with no
problems.

Carl.