Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 1996 22:47:19 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Daniel Eriksson <daniel@icon.pp.se>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low noise 2 GB hard drive

Rod Grimes wrote:

> Don't try to put a 7200 RPM class drive in one of those ``sleeves'', it'll
> cook it in very short order.

The generated heat differs immensly between models! My brand new
Quantum Atlas (2GB, 7200rpm, 8.5ms, 1MB cache) for example has no
problems at all with heat even without a fan (and with a fan it is
just a couple of degrees above room temperature). My old Micrpolis
4110 (1GB, 5400rpm, 8.5ms) on the other hand generates loads of
heat and I wouldn't dare running it without a fan.

Both drives are lightly loaded and I have no idea what would happen
if the drives got hit by a full newsspool, but then again, we are
talking about desktop "set-top" computers, and they rarely serve
as newsservers, do they?

--
Daniel Eriksson, daniel@icon.pp.se, eradaer@gaer16.ericsson.se