Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 95 10:49:04 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: newfs: sectors per cylinder (4096) disagrees with disk label (36)

> > At the very least, this would require a move to 32 bit minor numbers,
> > even if each controller got it's own major number.
>
> Have you seen the sources recently ?

I realize that the mode to 32 bit minors has been "in the works".

I also remember seeing a recent problem with booting diskless
off an Alpha box which supports 32 bit minors from a BSD box that
did not.

Since it was only several days ago, you should be able to grep
it out of your news spool and tell them how to fix it without their
kludge of redoing the MAKEDEV that they used as a workaround.

Unless it's not all there yet...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu