Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:23:01 +0200
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asus A8V IRQ/serial problems

On Thursday 22 June 2006 06:54, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> I have 2 Asus A8V motherboards running FreeBSD 6.0 and 6.1 (amd64) and I
> see the following in dmesg..
>
> sio0: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio0: port may not be enabled
> sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 flags 0x10 on
> acpi0 sio0: type 16550A
> sio1: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio1: port may not be enabled
> sio1: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
> sio1: type 16550A

I have the same board and it's also running FreeBSD 6.1 amd64:

sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on acpi0
sio0: type 16550A, console
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled

Only the first port is enabled in the bios.

> The ports are enabled in the BIOS and do seem to work.. mostly. I have had
> odd problems trying to talk to stuff connected to the on occasion though.

Never had any problems with it. I use it for a serial console at 115200 baud.

> I have another [custom] driver that is based on sio.c and it shows the same
> warning (it is a PCI RS485 card).
>
> I have tried playing with various ACPI & ATPIC settings in the BIOS but no
> change. If I disable ACPI in the kernel the IDE driver fails to activate
> it's IRQ and then panics a bit later...

I booted once with ACPI disabled, all seemed to work except that it didn't
detect the dual core cpu properly.

> I have updated to the latest BIOS but it had made no change.
>
> Hmm actually I just looked through the code.. It appears that this happens
> because isa_irq_pending() is a noop unless isa is in the kernel, and it
> isn't in GENERIC. Perhaps those tests in sio.c should be conditionalised on
> isa too?

AFAIK there's no such thing as a real ISA bus on amd64, including it in the
kernel would make little sense.

Pieter de Goeje