Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 18:38:36 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Aaron Smith <aaron@veritas.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pstat -T broken?

>i synced (with current) and made world today, and happened to notice that
>'pstat -T' fails and complains about KERN_VNODE being undefined. anyone
>else have this problem, or is it something with my config?

   I had to comment out support for that sysctl due to design problems with
it resulting in systemn crashes. Sysctl just isn't up to passing potentially
10's of megabytes back to user processes. Further, there is also a significant
security concern with providing so much information about all of the open
files in the system.
   The information provided by pstat -T can be had via sysctl(8) and pstat -s.
pstat -T should probably be nuked entirely or changed to use other mechanisms
to get the information.

-DG

David Greenman