Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:05:14 +1100
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph into -stable. (fwd)

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 01:00:51PM +0000, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 09:36:53PM +1100, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 09:52:23PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >
> > I've been watching things happening in the netgraph directory in
> > the CVS mailing list, but not known what was going on.  Is this
> > some sort of IP tunnelling thing?  Does PPPoE mean "PPP over
> > Ethernet?"
> >

> This is IP over PPP over Ethernet, not IP over PPP over IP over Ethernet.
> There is an ethernet packet type for PPP packets.  Lots of ISP are now
> offering a direct connection service like DSL, which appears to the user
> as an Ethernet interface that they plug into.  PPPoEthernet is a good
> way of managing these users.  Before the recent work on PPP and Netgraph
> FreeBSD users couldn't connect to service providers giving this type
> of connection.

Ah.  That actually sounds like a good idea.  I'm on a cable internet
connection myself, and the "log in" procedure is a little backwards,
compared to what you would expect on a dialup:  the DHCP and
acquisition of an IP address occurrs _before_ the authentication
protocol runs, because the latter runs over IP.  Basically the
network runs all the time, for whoever plugs into it, looking for
all the world like an Ethernet.  The routers only let packets
through for systems that have authenticated properly.

How does a PPPoE system know when you've disconnected?  Is there
a keepalive scheme?  The cable authentication system here (BIDS2,
apparently an HP thing) keeps the routers open as long as you
respond to the regular heartbeat messages.

--
Andrew